Altrincham is a fantastic place to work and live... here's why
Whether you are looking at moving, working or just visiting Altrincham there is something here for everyone. It can be a bit discouraging moving from working in the town centre to Altrincham, but it has a really fun but professional vibe and after a week or so it feels just like home. I work in Altrincham, (or Alty, as the locals call it) and love the benefits that come with it - especially the local nightlife for those after-work beers! I decided to put together a ‘Need to Know’ list for anyone thinking of making the move.
Living in Alty
Rental prices are much cheaper than they are in the City Centre with most renters saving at least 10% per year. You are likely to get much more for your money in terms of space and parking etc. There is also a safer and more community-focused area for you and potentially, your family too. There are plenty of schools, parks and community/ play centres for children and lots of bars, restaurants and shopping opportunities for adults! Lots of shops & restaurants are also dog-friendly (which my sausage dog Gladys and my beagle Bella love).
Everyone at Detail2 gets to work in a different way!
The Metrolink (tram), bus and train station are all based in the same hub which drops you into the centre of town.
- Metrolink – It’s the last stop on the line so you can’t miss it!
- Train – Lots of trains from Manchester to... Everywhere! I’ve finished work and got the train to Chester for a night out.
- Bus – So many different busses from all over the Manchester & Cheshire area come here- including some coaches too.
- Car – There are plenty of people who drive into work- we have parking spaces but there are also plenty of places to Pay & Display in Altrincham. It is easy to access from the motorway and Manchester too!
- Cycling – There are spaces to lock up your bike on-site, so cycling is another option. There is also a bike rental hut in the train station that you can use if you want to cycle around.
- Just to cover all bases it is also only 5 miles or so from the airport!
There is plenty for you to get up to in terms of socialising in Altrincham. We usually go to the Roebuck or the Cheshire Tap on a Friday if we are celebrating a birthday or promotion or more importantly if we are welcoming a new member of the team!
- Goose Green is great for a night out with lots of bars spilling out into a courtyard.
- Cinemas- There is a standard Vue Cinema and an ‘Everyman’ if you fancy something a little more plush.
- There are two theatres- The Altrincham Garrick and the Altrincham Little Theatre- They show a mix of serious theatre and fun musicals as well as child- friendly shows.
- Pub Quizzes- Most pubs run a weekly pub quiz in Altrincham including my favourite- the Tavern on the Green.
- Bowling- There is a great new bowling alley in Broadheath.
- For groups or team- building there is a great escape room called Code to Exit which is great fun.
There are loads of shops to choose from, whether you prefer a branded High Street store or a unique independent, there is something for everyone! One of my favourite things about Altrincham is how many gift shops there are that sell funny little gifts – it makes birthdays at the office a breeze! Altrincham also has loads of supermarkets if you need to do the food shop in your lunch (Or for office snacks!) There are also lots of charity shops for some bargain finds as well as toy shops. If all of this isn’t enough, there is a retail park a 5 minute drive from the centre of town with even more!
There is so much variation in terms of food, we sometimes have ‘Fat Fridays’ where we will get a nice breakfast or lunch... we love a Greggs breakfast!
- Branded Restaurants such as Bistrot Pierre & Frankie & Benny’s.
- Independent restaurants in all sorts! From Yara (Lebanese) to Sugo (Italian pasta)
- Grab and Go such as Greggs & many chip shops
- Sandwich shops are super popular in Detail2. There is a Tim Hortons, Bap as well as the usual high street food shops.
- Altrincham Market Hall is one of the most sought after places to both shop and eat; the menus are seasonal and always fresh too. There are communal tables so you can all try something different.
- A couple of my favourites are The Little Dessert Shop which exclusively serves sweet treats and TOAST which served weird and wonderful combos on toast!
There is plenty to do sports-wise in Altrincham, so whether you are a spectator or want to join in there is something for you! In our office, some of us play football and squash after work and a few of us girls go to Zumba together too!
- There are plenty of community spaces which play host to Zumba & Clubbercise classes in the area.
- There are a few different gyms, some of us in the office go to the same one and attend classes together- it’s great for motivation!
- The Altrincham Leisure Centre has a pool and a gym and also provides exercise classes.
- There are Golf courses galore if you are interested in that – and if you aren’t, The Old Hall pub is the ending point of the course at Altrincham Golf Course & Driving Range which serves great food & drinks as well as having a lovely view of the course.
- Altrincham FC is our home club and they play on Moss Lane- a short walk from the town centre. Nicknamed ‘The Robins’ they are semi-professional. You can buy tickets online too.
- We also have an Ice Rink called Planet Ice. They are home to many Ice Hockey teams including ‘Manchester Storm’, the ‘Altrincham Aces’ & the ‘Trafford Tornadoes’. You can attend these games by buying tickets or if you fancy it yourself, you can go down and skate too!
- There are loads of lovely walks around Altrincham including Dunham Massey, Tatton Park and much more.
- Kids will love a walk around Dunham Massey with a good chance of seeing the resident Deer and lots to see and do- especially at Christmas!
- The Red House Farm is sure to pique their interest with a petting zoo and other activities.
- There are several kids clubs that put on craft sessions and so much more.
Looking for your next role in Recruitment? You can see our latest vacancies here.
Or you can give us a call on 0333 023 0045